Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Redfall - open world vampire slaying co-op FPS from Arkane Austin

mord

Novice
The review embargo is 3 hours after release, someone should have corrected them, steam refunds end at 2 hour mark.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
Redfall is an anomaly because a game with this good of a team behind can’t possibly be this bad, and yet, it is. There are these drips of looter shooter, RPG, and multiplayer elements sprinkled throughout, but none of them work together, delivering a messy and almost incomprehensible experience. Still, gunplay and exploration stay consistently fun, thanks to the satisfaction of taking down enemies and the level design. That being said, the single-player campaign is dull, but the multiplayer campaign could provide bouts of fun comprised of laughing at the strange AI behavior or the fact that no one can find keys to a door.

https://webcache.googleusercontent....&cd=18&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=fr&client=firefox-b-d

Child of Malkav

Erudite
These cunts are really starting to get on my tits
to get on my tits
tits_or_gtfo.jpg

Dodo1610

Arcane
Shocking, combining the boring Ubisoft open-world structure with the soulless Borderlands loot shooter gameplay does not result in a good game.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS BORDERLANDS WAS JUST SUCH A LEVEL SCALED PEACE OF SHIT I COULDNT TOLERATE IT

I DOBT THIS IS EVEN WORTH MY TIME TO DOWNLOAD ON FAGPASS

PLAY ATOMIC HEART BROS MANY FUN TO BE HAVING

Well I played about an hour courtesy of GamePass.

This game is terrible in strange ways. Due to the 30 FPS lock (which the game can't maintain), the controls feel sluggish and amateurish. Before we even get to that, the cutscenes just look bizarrely cheap? Did the project's budget get slashed midway through development and Microsoft or Bethesda told them to finish up whatever they had and shoved it out the door? Most of the information you get is from pop-up notifications. I don't mean like quick tutorial hints, I mean, the actual "story."

The Enemy AI doesn't work. I've lost count the amount of times Cultists ran right by me as I was slaughtering them and really not trying any sort of stealthy approach whatsoever.

I fired my dinky pistol at some cultists in a church parking lot, shot the car behind them and it blew up right away.

I was most interested in the Vampires because that's the big hook of this game, right? They probably get more "interesting" to fight when they get more powerful but 4 shotgun blasts and then staking them, they're really not that interesting to fight. The game dropped FPS hard when I was fighting them inside some house, one of which glitched through a wall.

The environments too are all sterile and generic looking as well, nothing feels like it's been remotely lived in. It's two notches above an an Unreal Engine asset flip.

However much you believe Redfall to suck ass, I assure you, it's worse than you think

DemonKing

Arcane
I get more satisfaction from watching games fail than I do seeing them succeeded.
some-men-just-want-to-watch-the-world-burn-batman.gif

After the disappointment of Deathloop it seems like Arkane are circling the drain now with this release.

Glad I didn't bother wasting the bandwidth to download it on Gamepass.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Goodbye Arkane. M$ kills another studio almost like clockwork. If they ever purchase From Software god forbid I will go on a fucking rampage. Sick of the useless fucking cunts.
Other than paying for it, Microsoft had nothing to do with this project. It's all Bethesda and Arkane. Raph quit in 2017 because he saw the writing on the wall.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Goodbye Arkane. M$ kills another studio almost like clockwork. If they ever purchase From Software god forbid I will go on a fucking rampage. Sick of the useless fucking cunts.
Other than paying for it, Microsoft had nothing to do with this project. It's all Bethesda and Arkane. Raph quit in 2017 because he saw the writing on the wall.
I will continue blaming M$ because it makes me feel better.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
After trying it out for a few hours out of morbid curiosity on Gamepass, all I can say is wow, Forspoken now has stiff competition for "Worst game of 2023". I didn't even think that would be possible but here we are.

Seems like Colantonio left a s(t)inking ship -- and he knew it.

And the blockbusting games industry has finally done it. Finally surpassing Hollywood for good. Steering studios such as Arkane into the direction of the likes of Redfall is akin to Hollywood forcing its better talent to do video game adaptations of Assassin's Creed Whatever or Marvel Blockbusters for eternity.

Ivan

Arcane
Wow, I'd never thought I'd see an Arkane game with such weak characterization, systems, combat. While I disliked Deathloop, at least in that game it had the puzzle thing going for it. Here...it feels like a bastardization of Borderlands and Far Cry. YUCK
-cheesy one-liner you'll hear over and over again
-cheap-o animated cutscenes
-laughably bad combat
-forced skill tree

an absolute joke they're charging 60/70 USD for this. Gamepass it if you're morbidly curious like I was

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Wow, I'd never thought I'd see an Arkane game with such weak characterization, systems, combat. While I disliked Deathloop, at least in that game it had the puzzle thing going for it. Here...it feels like a bastardization of Borderlands and Far Cry. YUCK
-cheesy one-liner you'll hear over and over again
-cheap-o animated cutscenes
-laughably bad combat
-forced skill tree

an absolute joke they're charging 60/70 USD for this. Gamepass it if you're morbidly curious like I was
The only thing they had on their mind throughout the entire development cycle was representing all the black and brown people. Mission accomplished.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom