Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

MaxPaint

Literate
This guy looks weirdly familiar

rKhDt8l.jpeg

Some Uncharted the Lost Legacy

6XThwXo.jpeg

J6LiPJb.jpeg

5k2yMNd.jpeg

zUnXMa2.jpeg

b3zc4di.jpeg

ZcdcbhH.jpeg

dmtoTzt.jpeg

CH6qzrT.jpeg

Q6EUqRP.jpeg

uY7n6kW.jpeg

Epu4BnW.jpeg

XufpnGA.jpeg

After finishing this game, I have an urge to play Expeditions Conquistador or Curious Expeditions or something like that.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Unreal 2 could've been so much more...
Digital Extremes had been what made the first game what it was but they were not interested in singleplayer games back then, kept milking the Tournament spin-off series instead. So the sequel was bound to be different being made by Legend, but right away it hits you how something went very wrong, the walking speed is that of a snail. But they didn't intentionally fuck it up, there's a lot of callbacks to the first game, the sequence of lights being turned off, monsters from the first game being used for target practice, with a comment by the tutorial guy how they weren't realistic.

Legend was truly great back when they were making adventure games and the concept of jumping between worlds in Unreal 2 echoes of Gateway, which is not very well remembered these days but it should be. It's a solid game concept, and it's the reason I returned to it, there is still no definitive version of the space cowboy bounty hunter idea out there. Personally I'd have preferred something like a mix of Hitman and Thief, a mission based game with 90's edge, not corridors but also not open world slop, in this sort of setting. Prey 2 promised to be this but for the console generation of shooters if Human Head hadn't been victims of the Altman milestone rejected scam. The Dark Forces games were some approximation of it, but being tied to the Star Wars setting and license they were limited in what they could do.

It's not a bad direction for Unreal to go in, a next logical step in some regards, after having been wowed with the one planet, now we got several and very varied ones. It's just the execution that falters, and a lot of cut content and a rushed release didn't help what was there. The intermissions on the ship with changing details is pretty cool, and the basic conversation trees between missions is a precursor to something like Mass Effect, giving you a taste of what is a staple in science fiction TV shows, the crew interactions.

GT Interactive had been acquired by Infogrames, and since they owned Legend they got shafted as well, and this really shows in the production. Conceptually it's great, going to a living planet for example to do recon, but when the mission starts you're hit with the undeniable fact that fundamentals like moving around and the act of shooting sucks. And although it's good on paper, the multitude of worlds removes the sense of the great journey you got in the first game, it's more disjointed. It's a shame, at least it gives me something to play while waiting for the next Fortune's Run update to drop, that's the only post-Prey 2 cancellation game trying to make the concept come alive that I'm aware of. Maybe this niche is just cursed.

I'm also starting a System Shock run.
I like it better than System Shock 2.
This one's a Cyberpunk FPS dungeon crawler.
It's high time it was recognized for what it was, the cyberpunk version of Ultime Underworld, a game with a strong RPG lineage that Ken Levine destroyed with his cinematic Hollywood slop that was SS2. People new to the series just don't conceive of it this way and think it was supposed to be Bioshock in space.
I still like System Shock 2 and will play it after I finish my original System Shock run.
But, yeah, I also think it is inferior to the first System Shock masterpiece and its gameplay.
It really is a cyberpunk dungeon crawler.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
I still like System Shock 2 and will play it after I finish my original System Shock run.
All things considered it could be worse, the audio design is great, and the soundtrack is very good, and since it was made in the 90's it was made by competent people that knew what they were doing and you weren't getting The Message shoved down your throat every five minutes. On its own it's not that bad, yeah, sure, but in the context of being a System Shock sequel it fails entirely, and it wasn't meant to be one in the first place, it's not even in the same genre or ballpark. The step from SS1 to SS2 is more jarring than between SS2 and Bioshock. If you ask me playing them one after another makes you enjoy the second game less since you'll be more aware of what a downgrade it is. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on them after playing them back to back, it might be that the consequences of SS2 retroactively colored my perception of it somewhat.

PVy1L34.png

MaxPaint

Literate
This game is very shallow and yet I somehow put 40 hours into it and enjoyed (almost) every moment.
There is a certain challenge here in optimizing your settlement but it really isn't very historical. I just jumped from the Neolithic straight into the Bronze Age.

A shame there are no banished-level mods for it. People don't seem to care enough to make mods also. And the game did not sell well, so little hope for a sequel.

3OnzeGC.jpg

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Some news of the adventures of gallant Henry Kanthaka, the horse wonder, sponsored by the yoga club of Rattay :

kcd033.jpg

kcd021.jpg

kcd025.jpg

kcd028.jpg

kcd026.jpg

I eventually lost the contest because innkeeper #2 did not dare to fire through the horse, stalling the afternoon.

kcd032.jpg

The cupboard wench is clearly jealous of those barbarian. That's not at the bailiff service she's gonna have any fun.

kcd022.jpg

Move aside pleb, Henry has no time to lose with trivialities such as law, accountability or ethics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom