Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Skyrim Special Edition

Discussion in 'Bethesda Game Studios' started by Makabb, Jun 7, 2016.

1. JackOfOwls Erudite

JackOfOwls
    Requiem hasn't officially come out for this yet so rather than trust LL hacks to get the Legendary Edition version working with SSE, I'm going to install just a handful of mods for my playthrough, including Apocalypse, Ars Metallica, Morrowloot Ultimate, Ordinator, Simple Magic Rebalance and Summermyst. The idea of using one of those massive jabberjack (or whatever the fuck it's called) modpacks put together by mutants living in their parent's basements creeps me the fuck out.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. cretin Learned

cretin
    LL requiem works fine for the record. The only problems are fairly minor stuff like the cell edits Req makes not being updated for SE's changes (most noticeably: water flow data, easily fixed by a misc fix on the nexus. But more annoying is requiem reverts some cells to what it thinks is "vanilla" which means some areas will have light coming from a source that isn't there because requiem changed it. I only noticed this in helgen cave tbh, where a torch/fire basin thing was removed. This is "fixed" by just using whatever SSE interior lighting change mod of choice after requiem. No idea what to do if you want to use vanilla lighting, which is actually really good in SE). But yeah maybe theres some other stuff that doesnt work too well but i havent seen any complaints.

You could give YASH a go alternatively. YASH effectively does what you'd otherwise need about 20 different mods to address and fundamentally changes skyrim in a way that I think is better suited to its jank, by making character skill matter more than player skill.

Im personally in the middle of attempting to build a modlist that maximally unfucks skyrim with as minimal mods as possible and more importantly as minimal autistic fuckingaround with different programs and editing as possible. Requiem was the centerpiece, but I'm thinking of switching out for YASH and some survival mods.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    Did anyone ever get Deadly Mutilations to work in SSE? That was a fun mod.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. JRIz Savant

JRIz
    I recently played Skyrim and in the Dawnguard DLC, there's this one thing I wonder about. It has the Soul Cairn location which makes the whole game make a nosedive when it comes to fun gameplay (stealth archer corridor cleaning is pretty OK otherwise).

It follows the exact same design principles as this cave with the Red Nirnroots in the MQ. Both are extremely large areas with almost no content except some very simplistic fetch quests. But you must traverse them in order to progress in the quest. It is one of the most boring things I can imagine in a game. Can someone enlighten me as to the origin of the design principles behind this? Does it come from MMOs? I mean, these locations are not even good for hiking and I have never seen anything like this in other Bethesda games.

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Ancient post, but holy fuck man those exaggerated colors. Do you use "vivid" mode on your TV too? Hideous shit.

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Chippy Arcane

Chippy
    So I only played Skyrim once. True story. I was actually thinking of giving it another go - with lots of mods. So do the modders only support the special edition these days, or is there usually support for the original game?.

Thanks.

^ Top  
  7. Butter Arcane

Butter
    There's still a lot of activity on the original Skyrim Nexus, and it has more mods than SSE and Fallout 4 combined.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Chippy Arcane

Chippy
    Cool. I'm a bit late to the party, but I remember they had the SE option for free for people that had all the DLC, but I didn't buy the home building one. I noticed that's disapeared now and you have to buy the SE. So thought they had put the mods behind the paywall of the SE. I can't see why mods shouldn't just work for both games.

Plus, I remember looking at the 'advanced graphics' of the special edition (and the recommended requirements being a 4gb card) and they looked worse. Game looked ok on the 1GB card I had at the time.

^ Top  
  9. Butter Arcane

Butter
    My understanding is that some mods work on both versions, but others won't. I don't know the technical specifics, but when Bethesda were getting ready to reveal the Special Edition, they contacted some modders and gave them early access so that they could convert their mods by the time it released. Day 1 SSE had a pretty good selection of mods as a result.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Jesus Christ, just watching these vids is reminding me how bad Skyrim was.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Wulfric Pinewood Arbiter Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Wulfric Pinewood
    Elder Scrolls are the king baby ! :) For serious i had whole Encyclopedia Tamrielica 2 tomes plus lot of source material from IL printed and on the shelf makes me ES nerd 100%.
    Wonder when TES VI will be released. Playing any part of ES since Arena was always my favourite time.
    Actually replaying Skyrim SE with Bruma and Faalskar.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Sigourn Arcane

Sigourn
    My issue with Skyrim is that the lack of variety in the quests leads to a heavy focus on the dungeons over the roleplaying (i.e. LARPing in this case). And sadly, as creative some of the visuals in the dungeons are, it boils down to the same shit every time. It doesn't help there isn't much variety in enemies either. And the dungeons aren't that rewarding too.

Playing a stealthy archer hunting creatures in the wild can be fun for a while, but you can't make that the entirety of the game.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Poseidon00 Savant

Poseidon00
    Last time I played it I had a mod setup to try out the Cyrodil province, a few weapon mods and weapon animation mods, a few spell packs and Path of Sorcery for the magic perks, and some town called Oakwood. Was actually pretty solid.

^ Top  
  15. Chippy Arcane

Chippy
    I had some good moments in large battles. Warzones of Skyrim I think. I remember playing this large battle the Stormcloaks lost, out on the ice with fog all around, and all the Imperials were after me. I was sniping them for sneak damage and taking them out one at a time. It was pretty cool and atmospherice while it lasted.

If the next Skyrim manages large battles and NPCs with skills like tracking, spot and listen, tactical ai, and specific class enemies, that battle could really have been something.

...Maybe 30 years from now. :roll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.