Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Qt0idea.png

mj-laughing.gif

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
durendal's demo impressions:
098d1cb5839dfb4224e4cc82f110cd90.png

FOV slider only goes up to 90, crashed after my first time of getting into combat, no graphics options other than resolution changes and borderless/windowed/fullscreen, runs like hot dogshit even on lower resolutions
:1/5: the franchise is raped

Dude, it's only a demo, what did you expect? Do you even know what Demo means? Performance and stuff will be totally optimerized later down the line.

Yes, we know what a demo is. Do you?

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Thank you Codex for bringing me news about this one. Really interesting to read all the posts.

I can't see how this one can fail. The original was too ahead of its time - just too complex. Though watching the game play videos just wants me to cry. SS1 was just magnificent.

Pledged too. Fingers crossed this and BT4 come through.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Really not liking the sound of orchestral music (been done to death already) and the remix of System Shock's timeless theme is meh at best, not good and uninspired at worst. Completely drowns the melody.
:hmmm:

I just want them to hire Greg LoPiccolo to remix his SS stuff and make even more techno industrial tunes for this. Chicajo, who did some really sweet remixes back in the day, would have been a good choice as well.

Last edited:

Latro

Arcane
Really not liking the sound of orchestral music (been done to death already) and the remix of System Shock's timeless theme is meh at best, not good and uninspired at worst. Completely drowns the melody.
:hmmm:

I just want them to hire Greg LoPiccolo to remix his SS stuff and make even more techno industrial tunes for this. Chicajo, who did some really sweet remixes back in the day, would have been a good choice as well.
To me, that's absolutely one of the worst signs for this "remaster". Why mess up/completely misunderstand something so integral to the original's atmosphere? Do we not have enough orchestral blue n bloom fps games? And to remake SS which had a pretty damn good OST too?

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Have a feeling the RPG progression/mechanics and orchestra stuff will be things they "adjust" based on backer feedback like Fargo did with his Kickstarters (remember the "Dark Souls" type stuff he suggested in Wasteland 2?) .

DraQ

Arcane
RPG mechanics is actually worrying. First thing, it's something completely absent from the original, so there is no good original mechanics to shape it after.
Second, dropping random mechanics in the middle of cohesive experience that never accounted for it is a recipe for a likely disaster.
Third, RPG mechanics in particular predisposes a game towards being a massive cock-up because it has little to offer to a pre-designed experience that wasn't explicitly built around it (even being specifically built around it isn't much help most of the time) but has almost limitless potential for creating problems with how the game and its challenges work.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Stephen Kick got mad connections. Got an email from GOG advertising the Kickstarter.

DraQ

Arcane
RPG mechanics is actually worrying. First thing, it's something completely absent from the original, so there is no good original mechanics to shape it after.
They can copy one from System Shock 2.
Which was complete dongs.

Pretty much the only SS2 mechanics worth copying is weapon degradation. Maybe psi. What made SS2 was the atmosphere and atmosphere alone.

Yeah, "You need Standard Weapons 3 to use this shotgun" was phenomenally stupid.
373px-ERP_combatants_Perqu%C3%ADn_1990_35.jpg

Pictured: 224 cyber modules.

Last edited:

---

Arcane
Yeah, "You need Standard Weapons 3 to use this shotgun" was phenomenally stupid.
That was the last problem. I mean, it's stupid that a trained soldier isn't able to use a fucking shotgun, but if you developer want to base the system on this mechanic, I'm ok.

The biggest issue was the lack of balance between skills. Exotic, energy and maybe also heavy weapons (apart from the grenade launcher) were all useless, compared to a good assault rifle (a weapon that you could find early on, also, and which used the most common type of bullets), and half or more of the PSI powers were absolutely crap.

I love System Shock 2 (more than SS1), but if you want to play well you need at least to read a guide to prepare your build properly (since the guy who plays it for the first time can't know that in the boring "standard weapons" class there are all the useful weapons of the game, while in the super cool "exotic weapon" class there are only shitty ones), and that's not a good thing.

DraQ

Arcane
That was the last problem. I mean, it's stupid that a trained soldier isn't able to use a fucking shotgun, but if you developer want to base the system on this mechanic, I'm ok.
That's quite a massive problem for a game so completely relying on atmosphere relying on immersion.
Not that stupid balance issues and generally uninteresting weapons and damage system are less of a problem.

Anyway, with an exception of anything helping reinforce scarcity of resources SS2 is mechanically inferior to SS1 in every single aspect.
In terms of the atmosphere SS1 is inferior to SS2 in every single aspect.

Astral Rag

Arcane
878CECD4B9CC438AD43FEA37002577B6FB1B2CC0

Apparently this is part of the art style. I think these fake low-res textures look totally out of place in a HD reboot.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
look at all the sour cunts awaken form slumber and start bashing this project!
the demo is clumsy? wtf does that even means?

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, the movement is fucking slow, that's one. Object handling is also not the fastest, since sometimes you have to highlight very small switches on screen, and they have an unreasonably tiny frob box.

Lots of promise, but some things are just off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom