Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk - parodic fantasy tactical RPG - now with Back to the Futon DLC

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pres...ox_One_and_Switch_coming_this_summer_2021.php

March 11th 2021 - Paris, France: Developer Artefacts Studio and publisher Dear Villagers (ScourgeBringer, Recompile) today revealed in an official trailer that The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos will be coming to PS4, Xbox One and Switch this Summer 2021.

The game will also see a physical release on PS4 and Switch at the same time.
Already available on PC via Steam, The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos is a turn-based tactical RPG chock-full of charm, humour and chaos! Leading a ragtag company of unlikely heroes, players will embark on an epic adventure combining the fun, creativity and chaos of an epic fantasy tabletop campaign with the challenge of the very best tactical RPG games, delivering an adventure, unlike anything you’ve played before.

The Naheulbeuk universe is an original creation by French author John Lang. It started as a very popular audio comedy series parodying role-playing, tabletop games, and heroic fantasy tropes now made a video game!
  • Explore a huge and surprising dungeon from the cave up to the luxury quarters of the evil lord Zangdar, passing through the goblin ice skating park and an extremely lively tavern!
  • Play with seven classic role-playing game characters complementing each other’s skills as you level them up: the Ranger, the Elf, the Dwarf, the Barbarian, the Magician, the Ogre and the Thief!
  • Exciting turn-based battles, with creative support mechanics between team members.
  • An expansive bestiary (more than 100 enemies!) pushing you to think more tactically with every fight.
  • Hidden and destructive objects (including beer kegs) with surprising status effects will turn the tide of battle for the better...or worse!
  • An adaptive difficulty system: from an accessible and fun story mode with simplified combat to the “nightmare mode” where the smallest tactical errors will lead you to your doom!
  • Bizarre conversations, absurd situations and unusual encounters await!

KateMicucci

Arcane
It's really hard to keep your squishies from getting splatted. If the AI gets a murderboner for one of your characters, they WILL run through overwatch, AoOs, and environmental hazards to kill them. If you can't bodyblock or CC them, then setting up those overwatches/AoOs to punish them is all you can do.

In particular, how do you keep the thief alive? He gets knocked out more than anyone else. His bombs/caltrops are great but he dies in two hits from anything. He can backstab somebody once, and if he misses or doesn't kill them he gets locked in by AoO on their move. He also has the lowest initiative by default.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Desiderius That is just... maybe you gave up because it didn't work for you on low levels? Thief is pretty much just a bomber and crossbower at that point and the most useless character by far. But later on, his best build is Stealth/Crit and he becomes the strongest damage dealer on your team. Bombs are nice and I pick the bomb-passives, but only as a backup. Mainly what you want to do with him is stealth up and one-shot a backliner after which he can just re-stealth and do it all over. Only the Paladin's charge-attack can compete in terms of just one-shotting people, and that's a one-of thing. Your thief can just spam that shit.

KateMicucci In my experience sometimes your guys will drop. Going for a no-one-unconscious-ever-run just seems masochist to me, at least on Nightmare. And when they do, you have plenty of heals to pick them up.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Desiderius That is just... maybe you gave up because it didn't work for you on low levels? Thief is pretty much just a bomber and crossbower at that point and the most useless character by far. But later on, his best build is Stealth/Crit and he becomes the strongest damage dealer on your team. Bombs are nice and I pick the bomb-passives, but only as a backup. Mainly what you want to do with him is stealth up and one-shot a backliner after which he can just re-stealth and do it all over. Only the Paladin's charge-attack can compete in terms of just one-shotting people, and that's a one-of thing. Your thief can just spam that shit.

KateMicucci In my experience sometimes your guys will drop. Going for a no-one-unconscious-ever-run just seems masochist to me, at least on Nightmare. And when they do, you have plenty of heals to pick them up.

With how stealth costs an action I found it rarely to be worth it, usually better to just do damage.

I used the rangers movement buff a lot so often you could just move up and hit someone.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

With how stealth costs an action I found it rarely to be worth it, usually better to just do damage.

I used the rangers movement buff a lot so often you could just move up and hit someone.

I find that the first round can usually be used to "set up". Regardless, you definetely shouldn't be using the thief primarily for bombs IMO, his backstabs are way too good

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I find that the first round can usually be used to "set up". Regardless, you definetely shouldn't be using the thief primarily for bombs IMO, his backstabs are way too good
Think you can review this for the glory of Codexia, by the way?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Think you can review this for the glory of Codexia, by the way?

I'm currently not disclosing whether I have a desktop folder called "potential reviooooo screenshots"

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Regarding 'The Paladin's Quest', is part of the quest

Behind the riddle door? Or am I just dumb?

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Stealth is worth it later on when you make him a crit monster - he can sometimes backstab to death an entire enemy in one go. So basically I keep him out of trouble and stealthed until I need a clutch hit on a big nasty, and most of the time he'll take a huge chunk out of them, if not kill them outright. This is really useful when the enemies become bullet-spongey towards the end.

Correspondingly, the ice bombs also sadly lose some of their usefulness a bit later on, as a lot of enemies start to have high magical resistance to status effects like freezing.

Parabalus

Arcane

IIRC it is, the basement entrance is behind a riddle door.

Did you keep playing on Nightmare?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

IIRC it is, the basement entrance is behind a riddle door.

Did you keep playing on Nightmare?

Yep. It was very hard in the beginning but the difficulty curve began to flatten since level 4-5. I suspect it will get even easier once I respec everyone.

Doktor Best

Arcane
How is exploration/questing in this game? Should i imagine it more like Divinity OS or like Blackguards?

Also, is there any narrative choice and are there skill checks in the game?

V_K

Arcane
How is exploration/questing in this game?
Extremely linear. There are some sections where it opens up a bit, giving you a couple of side quests or side areas to explore, but most of the time main quest just leads you by the nose. You may get a side room or solve a simple puzzle to get some loot, but that's about it. That's my biggest disappointment with the game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
How is exploration/questing in this game? Should i imagine it more like Divinity OS or like Blackguards?

It's Blackguards - non-linearity is limited to choosing the order of encounters. The appeal is encounter-design and combat, the rest is only paid lip service to.

Its strength is its focus.

V_K

Arcane
Wait, no open world exploration?
It's not linear in the sense that a typical dungeon crawler is linear - i.e. it's not that you just go from level to level. Funnily enough, there are multiple ways between the levels. But there's little use to them because it's extremely linear for a dungeon crawler. You can't even explore a single level in full because every level is split into plot-gated chunks that you can only access when the main quest tells you to and not a minute earlier. Even worse, there's no reason at all for this plot-gating - it's not like there's a complex branching plot that you could break by doing things out of order.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane

Stealth is worth it later on when you make him a crit monster - he can sometimes backstab to death an entire enemy in one go. So basically I keep him out of trouble and stealthed until I need a clutch hit on a big nasty, and most of the time he'll take a huge chunk out of them, if not kill them outright. This is really useful when the enemies become bullet-spongey towards the end.

Correspondingly, the ice bombs also sadly lose some of their usefulness a bit later on, as a lot of enemies start to have high magical resistance to status effects like freezing.

But backstab isn't tied to stealth at all - if you're in range to attack someone it costs you an attack to stealth.

Given that the thief has ranged skills I found it rarely worth it to stealth instead of doing something immediately impactful.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

But backstab isn't tied to stealth at all - if you're in range to attack someone it costs you an attack to stealth.

Given that the thief has ranged skills I found it rarely worth it to stealth instead of doing something immediately impactful.

Well, no, but it's certainly easier to get into a good backstab position with stealth. And like I mentioned earlier, it is often "free" in the sense that many characters can use the first round of combat to set up stuff without it really costing much. I usually stealth twice during a fight - once on setup, and then an opportunity often comes later on.

Parabalus

Arcane

Well, no, but it's certainly easier to get into a good backstab position with stealth. And like I mentioned earlier, it is often "free" in the sense that many characters can use the first round of combat to set up stuff without it really costing much. I usually stealth twice during a fight - once on setup, and then an opportunity often comes later on.

But it competes with waiting (or just the thief having lower initative) and attacking the enemies on the first turn.
Especially bombing or using the immobilizing caltrops on melees was very effective. Early on I didn't find the thief very effective at killing the backline solo.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Usually you can't get to the priority targets on the first turn.

Parabalus said:

Ehem

Grunker said:
maybe you gave up because it didn't work for you on low levels? Thief is pretty much just a bomber and crossbower at that point and the most useless character by far.

Parabalus

Arcane
Usually you can't get to the priority targets on the first turn.

Parabalus said:

Ehem

Grunker said:
maybe you gave up because it didn't work for you on low levels? Thief is pretty much just a bomber and crossbower at that point and the most useless character by far.

Later on I'd def never waste a turn on stealth, since the rogue does so much damage and you have +MOV buffs galore to move to the backline.

KateMicucci

Arcane

The exploration, traps, inventory management and dialogs are all anti-fun time wasters. Quests are combats sandwiched with lame jokes and walking.

But the combat is really good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom