Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Still playing Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2005). Man, this game can suddenly hit that difficulty ramp and become balls to the wall hard. It's from an era when games were games, and players weren't aim-assist controller-tards (though I do play with a controller, and with aim-assist on... hey, I'm old). I'm on the mission where you have to defend the library from re-spawning groups of rogue jedi knights with lightsabers (fast and deadly). At least one of six bookcases must survive for 2 minutes so their info can be uploaded. Discovering cool little things you can do in this game that give you the illusion of emergent gameplay, like take your repair torch (if you're the engineer class) and force open an enemy vehicle, throw out the occupant, and murder-machine their kind on the battlefront with their own mechanized death (I did this with one of those daddy-long legs spiders). It's too good a game to quit because I'm not adept at fighting 3 or 4 jedi knights at the same time with a blaster. I will continue to die so I can die another day.
I remember the Jedi are vulnerable to rockets and grenades?
You need to use a clone trooper class that has those.
At least until you get to play as Anakin (newly christened Darth Vader).
THIS IS WHERE THE FUN BEGINS!

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Still playing Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2005). Man, this game can suddenly hit that difficulty ramp and become balls to the wall hard. It's from an era when games were games, and players weren't aim-assist controller-tards (though I do play with a controller, and with aim-assist on... hey, I'm old). I'm on the mission where you have to defend the library from re-spawning groups of rogue jedi knights with lightsabers (fast and deadly). At least one of six bookcases must survive for 2 minutes so their info can be uploaded. Discovering cool little things you can do in this game that give you the illusion of emergent gameplay, like take your repair torch (if you're the engineer class) and force open an enemy vehicle, throw out the occupant, and murder-machine their kind on the battlefront with their own mechanized death (I did this with one of those daddy-long legs spiders). It's too good a game to quit because I'm not adept at fighting 3 or 4 jedi knights at the same time with a blaster. I will continue to die so I can die another day.
Well, thanks for the tip. It helped defeat those 10 or so library jedi knights that kept respawining. Now I have to figure out how to defeat another 10 jedi knights in the galleria + 3 jedi masters, essentially THREE bosses to finish out that mission (and who knows? Maybe something else after that!). The game gives you 5-7 goals in each mission with NO saving between them. It's tedious to attain 5 or 6 out of 7 of those goals then when you get that dreaded DEFEATED! screen on the 5th or 6th goal that you failed, it's back to square fucking one. BFII was clearly designed for co-op or multiplayer so SP players will find it tough going in later levels, unless they're skilled or experienced players/metagamers. I might need a mod to allow save anywhere so at least I can save between goals.

Zlaja

Arcane
I'm currently playing LA Noire for the first time and having a good time. I'm especially impressed by NPC's facial animations, which are simply amazing. Puts most contemporary games to shame. I also like how authentic people talk. I chuckled to myself when police hq informed me about a street crime caused by a "mental cripple". :-D

soutaiseiriron

Educated
face mocap looks good but the game gives me the worst fucking uncanny valley because their face textures look like they're stretching some sort of rubber mask

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Well, thanks for the tip. It helped defeat those 10 or so library jedi knights that kept respawining. Now I have to figure out how to defeat another 10 jedi knights in the galleria + 3 jedi masters, essentially THREE bosses to finish out that mission (and who knows? Maybe something else after that!). The game gives you 5-7 goals in each mission with NO saving between them. It's tedious to attain 5 or 6 out of 7 of those goals then when you get that dreaded DEFEATED! screen on the 5th or 6th goal that you failed, it's back to square fucking one. BFII was clearly designed for co-op or multiplayer so SP players will find it tough going in later levels, unless they're skilled or experienced players/metagamers. I might need a mod to allow save anywhere so at least I can save between goals.
You can play as Anakin after you complete some objectives, I believe.
It should be smooth sailing from there.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
Been playing around with Star Wars Battlefront II Classic (2005). Bought it for like $1.50 on Steam 2 or 3 years ago but never really got into playing it because of lack of proper controller support and awkward resolutions at 4K but then I found this decent menu UI and controller mod and now it plays like it should. Squad tactics in SP are rudimentary (to say the least) but there's such incredible variation in settings and styles that I'm finding it fun especially with a good controller scheme. Trying to keep it as vanilla as possible for compatibility and stability reasons and haven't even installed the unofficial 1.3 patch (don't like too many surprises but you can try to talk me into it if you wish) but there are a few interesting mods that tempt me like XBOX DLC for PC that adds "official" Battlefront I maps, levels and vehicles (the other "conversion" mod that does something similar has too much custom shit that makes the game look like turd, I heard... you know exactly what I'm talking 'bout, son). Will try multiplayer after learning the ropes in SP... maybe.
BRO MODS ARE AWESOME HERE

YOU CAN GET 4K LEVELS AND CHARACTER MODELS WITHOUT FUCKING UP ANYTHING

MY KIDS AND HAVE PLAYED THIS FUCKING HUNDREDS OF HOURS BETWEEN FAGBOX AND PC

THIS GAME HAS LOTS OF MODS AND MANY ARE GREAT

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO I ONLY PLAY GALACTIC CONQUEST MOST MANY FUN FOR THIS GAME SINGLE PLAYER

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yeah, it's really fun.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
You can play as Anakin after you complete some objectives, I believe.
It should be smooth sailing from there.
There's a timer on selecting that option that defaults to No after about 15-20 seconds. I think I've missed it a few times because of the heavy, sometimes outrageous, almost non-stop action of this game, plus I'm using the UI included in that Xbox controller mod that might make it smaller than it should be at the bottom of the screen. I'll be on the lookout for it more often now. This game when it gets intense barely lets you breathe. Not like the usual games I play of exploration first (ie RPGs), action second.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I'm a newbie to the series. Starting out with and doing the campaign. Difficulty spikes are typical with these things, I guess. What mods do the dex-bros here recommend for SWBFII classic?

El Pollo Diablo

Educated
Cadaver (1990). Never played an adventure game of this type before and, holy crap is it hard. I'm still on the first level, got stuck several times, unstuck, but now I'm still missing one thing to be able to complete the level. Playing the Amiga version which lets me mess around with Amiga emulation, which is also something I haven't tried before.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
I was playing Anno 1800 but decided to take a break after coming to the conclusion I made two critical mistakes early on. Failing to settle other islands in the Old World before the AI and not specializing either in economic influence or military might. Eventually I found myself at war with the German NPC who then proceeded to conquer the only other Old World settlement I had. Of course seeing him build tier two coastal batteries with nothing but a market on the island was enraging, the fault ultimately lies with me. Probably going to try one of the other games I bought late last year such as Expeditions: Conquistador.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm mixing things up.

Still trying to beat my Nintendo 3DS library before the end of the year. More Fire Emblem Fates - Conquest. Most characters are bad, like very bad. Both how they are written, and most of them also in visual design. The writing is even worse than in Awakening. Story is so-so. Gameplay is stepped up a notch after Awakening. I actually have to think how to manage my units, and who gets to kill which enemy, to keep everyone leveled enough. Gameplay is saving the writing, basically.

Unicorn Overlord on PS5. I've not much to say, yet. Too early to talk about it for me, but if you liked the Ogre Battle series, this hits right in the nostalgia feels. The gameplay loop is fun enough for me, and I like setting up my units, and see how my strategies work out in battle. This has basically a 0.01% chance to come out on PC, so if you want to try it, but hate consoles, you know what to do, right matey?

Troubleshooter: Abandoned Chilren. Doing a few missions a week. Got massacred in a violent mission, and it made me question myself and all the years that I have been playing tactical rpgs. I will be back and take my revenge... some day.

Shin Megami Tensei V, still plan to beat this before the updated PC version comes out. Very paper thin story, with fun combat, and mostly fun exploration. I prefer Nocturne to this, but I'm still having fun.

Steelrising. I beat this one on PS5. Very inoffensive, but doesn't do anything amazingly well. I will say that I appreciated the moves you get to explore more of the environments. I read up on builds, and looked up what was most powerful, but ended up playing something completely else. The Falchion and Sabre was my preferred weapon choice, with a musket as a backup, to freeze enemies. Enemy variety was poor, but bosses were kind of fun. Kudos to them for doing their own thing with a historical setting. It was funny, but good at the same time.

Football Manager 2024, but with a twist. Some madman took all of the database from the 07/08 season, and put that in FM24, players, competitions, everything. So, now I am coaching Liverpool with the amazing trio of Gerrard, Xabi Alonso, and Mascerano in midfield. Yesterday, I stayed up until 6.30AM, just having a smile on my face, while playing.

I can't think of what else I'm playing off the top of my head.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm a newbie to the series. Starting out with and doing the campaign. Difficulty spikes are typical with these things, I guess. What mods do the dex-bros here recommend for SWBFII classic?
BRO IM DUO TO REINSTALL THE GAME

I START WITH A GRAPHICS PACK
https://www.nexusmods.com/battlefront2/mods/1191

OR THIS ONE
https://www.moddb.com/mods/hd-graphics-mod

FROM THERE YOU GOT TONS OF MORE MODS INCLUDING 360 CONTROLLER CONFIGS FOR STEAM ILL POST MORE WHEN I NOT DRINK AND HIGH

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO IM DUO TO REINSTALL THE GAME

I START WITH A GRAPHICS PACK
https://www.nexusmods.com/battlefront2/mods/1191

OR THIS ONE
https://www.moddb.com/mods/hd-graphics-mod

FROM THERE YOU GOT TONS OF MORE MODS INCLUDING 360 CONTROLLER CONFIGS FOR STEAM ILL POST MORE WHEN I NOT DRINK AND HIGH
BRO ALSO THE 1.3 PATCH IS USUALLY NECESSARY AND MANY MODS REQUIRE IT BUT IT CAN FUXK UP THE UI SO YOU NEED TO MANUALLY EDIT A FILE OR TO

Gostak

Educated
FTL with the Multiverse Mod (5.4.4; 5.4 came out around end of January). Ended an unfortunate 5.3 run before updating.
Unlocked quite some ships on my first OK 5.4.4 run (with that SW Moorcock artillery Fed ship cf. below; I even ran from a Sylvan fight to tell the tale and still beat the flagship stage 3 two jumps or so afterwards).

(5.4 is far from only balance changes)
https://www.moddb.com/mods/ftl-multiverse/news/ftl-multiverse-5-4-released

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I just finished Remnant 2 with the bros and jesus christ that ending made me cringe out of my seat. 1000% marvel-tier writing, they got all their writers straight from some rando coffee shop.

The rest of the game is a 6.5/10.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Still playing various Doom wads, from now on i am playing with a pistol start rule. Currently trying out space catgirls total conversion.
Of all overpowered new weapons my favourite one is probably the berserk powerup.
gzdoom0inaBOntTm.png

Feels terrific.
Normally i hate those kind of maps with 200-400 enemies in them but with an arsenal in which even your basic starting weapons are busted enough to reliably take out archviles and mancubi these big fight are actually quite fun.
gzdoommiw6vcsJKU.png

^Can't see him behind those special effects but here is an Archvile being utterly helpless against the most basic melee weapon. DBP 64 - The Vast Silence often liked to throw an archvile or two at me after every big fight so this feels cathartic to me.

jackofshadows

Magister
Playing FTL too, what an awesome game, I forgot! Hardcore as fuck though. Jesus. My ass's been handed to me way more often than I was expected. Not a forgiving little shit.

Before that I was going for a nostalgic trip and launched Cyberia (thanks again to folks who identified it for me). That was hard as nails experience too, fuck me. The second arcade section teared me a several new assholes. Mother of fuck.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I'm nearing the end of the game, and I can still confirm Deus Ex: Human Revolution is fucking awesome. Like Gothic did with Morrowind, this game has really soured my opinion on Fallout: New Vegas.

Here we have a game that:
  • Has proper stealth mechanics (cover, takedowns, enemies that react to fallen comrades).
  • Has much better gunplay (animations, sounds, every weapon feels punchy and the variety is just right).
  • Voice acting is competent (unfortunately it doesn't have the amount of great characters New Vegas has; at least, it doesn't have the amount of shitty characters New Vegas has either).
  • Contains the ever elusive level design (mazelike but believable locations with loads of ways to traverse them).
  • And to round it off, proper encounters (carefully positioned enemies that don't just rush at you like retards if you alert them).
Not to mention it looks much better, then again this is a 2011 game and I am using an ENB.

Perhaps the biggest praise I can give Human Revolution is that it evoked something I remember feeling about Deus Ex: "this game is fucking massive". Really, I look back at the start of the game and I struggle to remember being the non-augmented Adam Jensen walking around Sarif. It's only been 55 hours of playtime but it feels like much much more, in a good way.

Gostak

Educated
Playing FTL too, what an awesome game, I forgot! Hardcore as fuck though. Jesus. My ass's been handed to me way more often than I was expected. Not a forgiving little shit.
Multiverse is much easier on its normal (usual/"hangar" difficulty) and challenge mode: normal.
You can only adjust challenge mode after winning once. So I guess I'd recommend upping hangar difficulty, if you do not want to get used to a much softer difficulty and enjoy a challenging struggle.

'There are two types of difficulty in Multiverse. There's "hangar difficulty" which is the standard easy / normal / hard from vanilla FTL, which affects stuff like scrap gain, whether enemies target your systems smartly etc. Then there's "challenge level", which I think tends to affect more Multiverse-specific stuff, like whether Sylvan gives you gifts, the Sector 1 elite rebel at the exit, or general enemy scaling. You change the hangar difficulty like normal, and you change the challenge level in the first popup when you start a new run.'

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
WH40K Boltgun: They found the perfect combination of animation, sound and impact for the guns. Very impressive. I wish I could swing the chainsword around a bit more, rather than it being like a sort of execution move, but it's still fun to use. Love this game

Doom 3 BFG: As far as I can tell it's the same as the original but with enhanced flashlight capabilites. Which makes it much easier. The spooky elements are fun edgelord stuff, but they do a pretty good job at making you feel genuinely on-edge with the confinement and vulnerability in many of the areas.

Werewolf the Apocolypse - Earthblood: This game defies all odds by making a hippy character who is actually pretty cool. The stealth is simple but satisfying, and if detected, you have the option to reload a checkpoint or go into werewolf mode and kill everyone. The absolute worst part of this game is the checkpoint system. It will save your game at the beginning of neutral zones rather than stealth/combat zones, meaning that you have to re-collect all those spirit shards from these areas if you fuck up the stealth or combat section which comes afterwards. So stupid. I'm enjoying the game, but I doubt I'd play it again.

jackofshadows

Magister
Multiverse
But what's the point of it? It's for bored regular FTL players, right? Because I have clocked only 68h (including gaming around release time) and enjoying myself anyway where easy is well, very easy and hard is hard as fuck at times. And I didn't even try "advanced" mode yet.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I tried taking a look at FTL and the Multiverse-mod a while back, downloaded my (outdated) installer and installed the base game, then tried to install the Multiverse-mod, thinking that it would inform me whether I needed to upgrade or not.

"This installer requires that Java be instal-"

NOPE.AVI

Might as well have told me that autism is required to play the mod successfully.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom