Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alan Wake 2 - new survival horror experience from Remedy

Ivan

Arcane
more dev shit, enjoy:

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
I never could stomach very much of Alan Wake. I'm not sure how far I got when the game finally came to PC but the combat, which Remedy nailed with the Max Payne games, was so dogshit I gave up within an hour or two. Does it eventually get better? The Steve Kang styled narrative also didn't keep me hooked or made up for the shit gameplay. This series seems to be condemned to always play second fiddle to the far superior J-jank of Deadly Premonition, which did make up for the gameplay flaws with charm, atmosphere and audacity. It also delivered on the open town format that I think that Alan Wake aimed for, or so I remember reading in early previews, before cutting it out of the game during development hell. Even the turn towards sheboons was handled better by Deadly Premonition 2.

Was thinking of revisiting it to see if anything of value was lost with the Netflixation of the sequel, but maybe it's just more trash piled up on an already terrible foundation.

pickmeister

Learned
I never could stomach very much of Alan Wake. I'm not sure how far I got when the game finally came to PC but the combat, which Remedy nailed with the Max Payne games, was so dogshit I gave up within an hour or two. Does it eventually get better? The Steve Kang styled narrative also didn't keep me hooked or made up for the shit gameplay. This series seems to be condemned to always play second fiddle to the far superior J-jank of Deadly Premonition, which did make up for the gameplay flaws with charm, atmosphere and audacity. It also delivered on the open town format that I think that Alan Wake aimed for, or so I remember reading in early previews, before cutting it out of the game during development hell. Even the turn towards sheboons was handled better by Deadly Premonition 2.

Was thinking of revisiting it to see if anything of value was lost with the Netflixation of the sequel, but maybe it's just more trash piled up on an already terrible foundation.
No, the combat doesn't get better later in the game at all.

I, personally, enjoyed Alan Wake. Mainly the story but even the combat.

That said, I'm 100% convinced the next game is gonna be mediocre at best. Dogshit more likely.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Bright Falls was the star of the game for me. I didn't like the house part and the combat was stupid and simplistic but the locations and the characters in the town were charming enough. It's basically a lightweight action adventure that gets by with the nostalgia factor for that kind of setting, assuming you have any.

Last edited:

El Presidente

Arcane
Alan Wake is the quintessential 6.5/10 good for what it is background noise game, maybe 7/10, something in that range but most def. not higher than that. The setting is pretty good but everything else just plays sooooooooo safe, from the combat to the rest of the mechanics and objectives. It also overstays its welcome by quite a lot, game would've been better if it was 5h shorter but with higher quality and more memorable set pieces.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
The only thing I remember from the first game is the part where you find pages describing what you're doing (wow such clever writing) and knowing a boss was up ahead when the game showered you with health and ammo (wow such clever design).

Last edited:

grimace

Arcane
Alan Wake was designed to sell to the broadest possible end user.

Combat in Alan Wake was designed to be enough gameplay without frustration so more players would complete the storyline.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, I bought Alan Wake in some $1 humble bundle and I'm looking forward to do the same with the sequel!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh god, the twink peaks references are a bit much and cringe. When will gaming go away from that...

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Not buying unless Poets of the Fall do the soundtrack again.

Edit: Wait what? So this is Alan Wake but you ackshually play as a stronk independent sheboon who guns down zombie rednecks. Uh no thanks...

911 Jumper

Learned
Reminder that the new playable character was originally white:
2023.06.13-10.45-boundingintocomics-6488f1a3e63cd.png

Alan Wake II’ Race-Swaps Saga Anderson, Replaces Original Actress Malla Malmivaara With ‘The Idol’ Actress Melanie Liburd

grimace

Arcane

Ash

Arcane
Alan Wake is the quintessential 6.5/10 good for what it is background noise game, maybe 7/10, something in that range but most def. not higher than that. The setting is pretty good but everything else just plays sooooooooo safe, from the combat to the rest of the mechanics and objectives. It also overstays its welcome by quite a lot, game would've been better if it was 5h shorter but with higher quality and more memorable set pieces.
Low standards. I would rate it 4/10. Maybe 5 at best. Everything is shit and worthless, but the setting is mildly interesting sure...yet mainly for ripping Twin Peaks. Can you even assign 5 adjectives to the setting beyond "dark" and "foggy"? We learn fuck all about this setting. It's pathetic. Silent Hill 1 is a far superior Twin Peaks riff. Even shitty Deadly Premonition's setting is more established and mildly more intriguing.

Last edited:
RTX 3070 to play at 60 FPS on Medium preset at 1080p with DLSS Perfomance setting. :lol: DLSS Performance at 1080p is what, 540p rendering resolution? Amazing stuff. And here I thought using any DLSS mode that isn't DLAA at 1080p was unacceptable.

Puukko

Arcane
And just as those RTX 4090 prices started climbing. I sure wish I had a million gigaflops to double as heating while rendering increasingly detailed and ugly negroes.

RTX 3070 to play at 60 FPS on Medium preset at 1080p with DLSS Perfomance setting. :lol: DLSS Performance at 1080p is what, 540p rendering resolution? Amazing stuff. And here I thought using any DLSS mode that isn't DLAA at 1080p was unacceptable.
Exactly the reason why I don't feel the least bit inclined to upgrade my 3070. Even if I were interested in playing the decline popamole du jour, I could never justify paying through the nose to get assrammed by unoptimized sub 1080p garbage.

As with everything, DLSS is a slippery slope. Frame gen is the biggest con in computer hardware I can remember, and I've been through a lot. People's standards have fallen so far it's laughable.

Puukko

Arcane
You will play with ze fake frames and pixels and be happy.

Jokes aside, I do appreciate FSR (little experience with DLSS) since it really helped my old 1070 before upgrading and even now it gives pretty good results with sensible settings at high resolutions. Paying 70 bucks to play a game at 540p in the Year of our Lord on midrange hardware though, what would you call this? Frameslop?

I was just testing the RE4 remake this week on both a 6800 XT and RTX 4070 at (real) 4K and 1440p respectively and was still very impressed by how well it ran while looking no worse than other third person titles that have come out this year, yet those games can't provide even half the performance. What does Capcom know that other big devs don't?

Last edited:
As with everything, DLSS is a slippery slope. Frame gen is the biggest con in computer hardware I can remember, and I've been through a lot. People's standards have fallen so far it's laughable.

Since I can't actually use frame gen with my 3060 I have no idea how it actually feels to play with it, but I know for sure that it's not really DLSS. It's just been packaged with it to further confuse the normies. DLSS itself is kinda cool because of great antialiasing it comes with, certainly way better than TAA, no blurring of textures and much better distant detail resolve. 1080p with DLAA actually looks quite impressive, in games that I experimented with it it actually results in much better temporal image stability than 4K with no AA or with weak shit AA like FXAA/SMAA. Lack of that great AA is the reason why FSR looks like crap in comparison. It's just unfortunate that devs will now use the upscaling part of it as a crutch and fuck actually optimizing shit to even allow us good performance at 1080p rendering.
I guess from the point of view of these greedy fucks, if people can actually get good performance at 1080p DLAA with mid range GPUs then suddenly a lot less people can be persuaded to buy more expensive GPUs and higher resolution monitors, because fuck it, it already looks great at 1080p.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom