Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So far I been playing it in my phone because of all the free time I have at work and by god this game is scratching that Fallout fix I needed.
However, I am also having hardcore flashbacks to Shadowrun Hong Kong right now.
I reached the first big city and there are fuck tons of NPCs to talk to, all with their little own backstory, a thumbnail portrait and the standard dialogue options.
Some are good, some are funny and some are dry but there are a fuck ton of them and I feel overwhelmed with all of this, I am getting quests left and right, rumors out of the bazoo that I probably won't be able to keep track of. It's been a hour of pure talking with them and getting some XP out of the blue.
I love this and at the same time I do not want to know or visit any other big town because of this. Fuck I still haven't found a damn general store to sell my toilet paper and wires.
I advise you to focus on one or two things you want to pursue and come back for the rest later if you want to. Otherwise you risk getting overloaded which may lead you to drop the game altogether. You don't have to stop to help every single person in the world tie their shoes. Maybe you can even do another playthrough later to see some stuff you missed.

Mud'

Scholar
I advise you to focus on one or two things you want to pursue and come back for the rest later if you want to. Otherwise you risk getting overloaded which may lead you to drop the game altogether. You don't have to stop to help every single person in the world tie their shoes. Maybe you can even do another playthrough later to see some stuff you missed.

I might as well try to do that, I am just afraid of losing on something interesting or something that could lead me to a better gun

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I advise you to focus on one or two things you want to pursue and come back for the rest later if you want to.
I might as well try to do that, I am just afraid of losing on something interesting or something that could lead me to a better gun
I totally get it, it's called Fear Of Missing Out (FOMO). Don't let it stop you from playing the game in a more enjoyable way. (There is a whole thread about this.) I promise you can still enjoy and finish the game with the 2nd best gun :)

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I love this and at the same time I do not want to know or visit any other big town because of this.
There's only one big town really so it's safe to travel. Peregon is talked about as a mayor settlement but it's not that big.

But isn't this a common thing in RPGs I mean there's usually a big town like Tarant in Arcanum and what have you.

Mud'

Scholar
There's only one big town really so it's safe to travel. Peregon is talked about as a mayor settlement but it's not that big.

But isn't this a common thing in RPGs I mean there's usually a big town like Tarant in Arcanum and what have you.

Yeah, I reached Peregon and I am happy that it's not too small but also not too big.

Also holy fuck does this game feels like Fallout 1/2 in Russia with all the quirks of it.

Like I am not even sure if I am playing this game correctly. At level 6 I had to save scum to kill the VSS guy because all my guns sucked. So I kill the motherfucker and I am like "finally, I can take on anything with this" and realize that ammo overall is scarce as fuck like in FO1, no one sells the damn thing and no one has money either.

So I go to the circus and they give me a quest to slay rats, I feel like I am way above this quest but still accept it, I get buttraped by rats several times and I get flashbacks of how combat worked in FO 1/2 and that I never understood it.
Numbers of enemies are king in these games and I got reminded when the pack of rats killed me. (I think I have never ever fought a random encounter in FO 1/2 because they threw a fucking army at you everytime)
So I went back, lured the rats to the circus, caused a damn massacre, went back for a lonely rat in the forest, in my high horse again of "damn I am clever but how the fuck are you suppose to play this", kill the rat and rat king appears to kick my ass.
Lure the king to the circus, sacrifice some NPCs and kill the king.

I am not sure how I even beat FO1/2 but I am still making the same mistakes I made back in those games, later I found a Caravan that had good weapons and ammo that I truly needed, used my "free out of jail card" that is my VSS, killed the Caravan and felt like I was going to be able to blast everything now easily with brand new weapons and then I go to the Death Tunnels to realize that my VSS ain't shit.

I truly love this game but god damn this wasteland is harsh, it's been a long time since I have enjoyed a RPG like this.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Not that I'm too eager to spoil the experience but reading this in 2021 kinda amazes me. The key to both Fallout and this clone of a Fallout combat system is getting an armor. Once you get your hands on a high tier armor, the whole thing becomes trivial with a few exceptions. That's all to it, really.

I remember playing this and after some initial quests I just beelined into the local biggest city (KRZ) in order to find top shop or close to it. To the dev's credit, they kinda set some "protection" from low-level bums as a solid entrace fee but it's easy to get around by farming some other low-level bums on the way to it, you need money to buy an armor anyway, right? So after I've farmed a bit and figured out how the game restocking its traders it's all became streamlined as fuck.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Not that I'm too eager to spoil the experience but reading this in 2021 kinda amazes me. The key to both Fallout and this clone of a Fallout combat system is getting an armor. Once you get your hands on a high tier armor, the whole thing becomes trivial with a few exceptions. That's all to it, really.

I remember playing this and after some initial quests I just beelined into the local biggest city (KRZ) in order to find top shop or close to it. To the dev's credit, they kinda set some "protection" from low-level bums as a solid entrace fee but it's easy to get around by farming some other low-level bums on the way to it, you need money to buy an armor anyway, right? So after I've farmed a bit and figured out how the game restocking its traders it's all became streamlined as fuck.

But, why?

jackofshadows

Magister

But, why?
Because that's what pleases me. I despise cheating/bug abusing but legitimately breaking and own RPGs, by their rules, is the way I like to play them most of the times. That's why I, unlike many here, actually liked combat in Arcanum as a teen (to find various ways to abuse and subdue its systems). That's why my favorite party in MM7 is 4 liches. And that's why the more I play RPGs, the more I realise that Underrail and ITS games are becoming my absolute all-time favorites. They're basically games for players like me. It's not impossible to "own everything" there but it takes some effort.

So, after exploring Fallout's systems long time ago you could see how easy it was to be done with the subj. Well, of course there's more to it: if the subj would have some amazing plot, quests, characters, dialogues - whatever aside from the gameplay aspect itself - then I could've been distracted from searching ways to own it but alas.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Because that's what pleases me. I despise cheating/bug abusing but legitimately breaking and own RPGs, by their rules, is the way I like to play them most of the times. That's why I, unlike many here, actually liked combat in Arcanum as a teen (to find various ways to abuse and subdue its systems). That's why my favorite party in MM7 is 4 liches. And that's why the more I play RPGs, the more I realise that Underrail and ITS games are becoming my absolute all-time favorites. They're basically games for players like me. It's not impossible to "own everything" there but it takes some effort.

Well, if you achieved your life goal by making an overpowered character in Arcanum, good for you, most of the codexers did it too on their first playthrough without even thinking about it.

Now, go and try to do this with KotC 2 on archmage difficulty and no "cheat" options (original difficulty) and when you do, you'll have accomplished something, it's not going to change your life but at least, no 5 years old will be able to top your achievement.

jackofshadows

Magister
I prefer solo RPGs as much as you prefer your party-based ones. I'm also not a fan of D&D at all. So that's a hard pass.

And dude, don't laugh my tits with "accomplished something". RPGs aren't that complicated or difficult. They're just games to enjoy. Underrail and ITS games are just strong examples of old-school approach where it's expected for player to delve into game's mechanics in order to actually play them. RPGs in general don't necessarily revolve around hardcore design that I enjoy in particularily though, that's what I was talking about. ATOM RPG didn't offer me neigher captivating story nor new mechanics to figure out despite having more or less same old-school approach, strictly speaking.

Last edited:

Mud'

Scholar

I do have the best armor that is available to me right now (leather breastplate that i found after killing some book burner guys) because the motherfukcer in the armor store sells only helmets and the same armor i am using right about now.

I realize that if i invest all my stored skillpoints into pickpocket to 120 i can easily buy stuff, pickpocket the money i spent and repeat, so far that is the only broken thing i have found in the game that i refuse to use.

Peregon so far was disappointing as hell, no one sells ammo, no doctor to cure my radiation, no nothing at all, i seriously need ammo right and it feels like merchants are none existent.

Mud'

Scholar
This game worth getting on gog?

If you have a itch for classic Fallout, hell yes it is, it doesn't have a Steam Workshop and honestly that is the only reason i ever buy stuff on Steam, also is cheap as hell and i am honestly considering buying the support package just cause i love this damn game so much.

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
I do have the best armor that is available to me right now (leather breastplate that i found after killing some book burner guys) because the motherfukcer in the armor store sells only helmets and the same armor i am using right about now.

I realize that if i invest all my stored skillpoints into pickpocket to 120 i can easily buy stuff, pickpocket the money i spent and repeat, so far that is the only broken thing i have found in the game that i refuse to use.

Peregon so far was disappointing as hell, no one sells ammo, no doctor to cure my radiation, no nothing at all, i seriously need ammo right and it feels like merchants are none existent.

To be honest the traders in Peregon on the outskirts have better stuff than the ones in the centre of the city itself, although they come a bit randomly and their selection is equally random. I was also a bit disappointed on my first playthrough, seeing as how I had a lot of gear to unload.

jackofshadows

Magister

Nah, that's a piece of shit, not an armor. Well, vendors are somewhat level-dependent but still try to restock the armorer (go into adjacent district, save, skip time until the next day, head back, reload if nothing showed up). Keep in mind that KRZ vendors aren't suited for selling crap, only to buy stuff. Sell crap to caravans on global map or better yet in Peregon, speaking of which, you just missed caravans which are standing there on the parking lot. There's two of them, just not 100% of the time. Skip time there and sell everything/buy ammo etc.

You could invest in pickpocleting, yeah but money isn't an issue in this game at all once you find aforementioned way to sell crap and you can get endless amount of it from random encounters.

Last edited:

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
I prefer solo RPGs as much as you prefer your party-based ones. I'm also not a fan of D&D at all. So that's a hard pass.

And dude, don't laugh my tits with "accomplished something". RPGs aren't that complicated or difficult. They're just games to enjoy. Underrail and ITS games are just strong examples of old-school approach where it's expected for player to delve into game's mechanics in order to actually play them. RPGs in general don't necessarily revolve around hardcore design that I enjoy in particularily though, that's what I was talking about. ATOM RPG didn't offer me neigher captivating story nor new mechanics to figure out despite having more or less same old-school approach, strictly speaking.

Shame really, there are some really good party based crpgs.

jackofshadows

Magister
Shame really, there are some really good party based crpgs.
It's not like I don't play them, played many of them in fact and Wizardry 8 would be my favorite I think. And I don't tend to play them solo either (minus Dungeon Rats though). It just that I won't overcome some possible shortcomings in order to play a supposed-to-be-awesome party-based RPG like in case of KotC 2 (hello, the fucking looks?! call me a graphix whore, I don't care).

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

But, why?

Because he's urban Russian autistic intelitgenzia. Worst type of autists in Slavlands. Imagine mix of Einstein's hubris and 1% of Einstein's brainpower

Smart retards who actively play AGAINST the game, looking for any, even smallest hole in game systems, so their micro dick can fit and they can feel pleasure from fucking devs aka "owning" the game. Instead of just, you know, (role-)playing the game. Total wankers

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom