Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

ColonelMace

Educated
Reiterating upon existing formulas and tech is pointless if you lack any sort of direction or ambition.
Arkane recent games reek due to the visible lack of leadership since the departure of Colantonio.
They're reiterating on the same stuff too, after all, but they actually and actively remove features and ideas as they go, turning what were solid immersive sims (or pseudo imsim) into mere shooters. Quite a sight to behold.

Anyway, this game has serious fps issues. Beware if your rig is shit.

Crichton

Prophet
Well, I boarded the hype train and picked this up in spite of the lack of proper party creation. I haven't been following this thread too closely because as usual, everyone else is playing faster than I am and I don't want to get too badly spoiled.

After all the ranting about surprise sodomy here and on steam, I decided to run a harem party: picked Gale the magician as the origin and picked up chicks whenever available. The first two (cleric and Gith warrior-woman) aren't too terrible, but the cat-fighting over every little thing is a tad excessive. I'm level 3 and still trying to get a cure for tadpole-STD so I haven't seen too much of their quests just yet.

As for the man himself, the ticking timebomb quest will probably be meaningless in the long term with Larian itemization, but the first bite had a bit of role-playing to it. When the toll came around, I ate the amulet I got for saving the tiefling girl (to avoid eating the ring of evasion my lad brought me). I figured 5E wizard was a pretty safe choice from a gameplay standpoint, but for some reason, this dumb bastard took two ranged cantrips and didn't get shocking grasp. After pitifully stabbing people with a dagger for a while, I gave up and respec'ed to College of Swords Bard (so I'm still stabbing them with a dagger, but now it actually hurts them). I've already had a bit of fun relieving folk of their valuables with slight of hand.

I just picked up the tiefling girl (seems a bit of a brat, but we'll give her a chance), but while I was waiting, I hired the Wood Elf girl from that purveyor Withers, this is her default line when you go to chat with her at camp:

30758EE5B8E4850B334CE1CE009323D8DEF1ACEF

So I reckon this lass is going to fit in just fine.

:troll:

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Shadowheart left my party in a mood over not taking her to the place with the whales from Dishonored. I was very confused to be suddenly accosted by her because I'd forgotten she exists, to the point where it never actually occurred to me that she might like to come visit the temple of her goddess. Same for whenever Wyll pops up, I'm like "who's that? oh, yeah".

Decided to let her go without protest because there's no room for deadweight in my team anymore. I need hard-hitting go-getters like Vampire Boy, Frog Woman and Devil Girl.

I keep wanting to take screenshots in this game because parts of it look ace. Wish there was a photo mode, that's one of the few trends in modern gaming I really appreciate.

F12 is your friend.

For about 100 years or so now F12 takes screenshots in any Steam game and if you are using the GOG launcher same key there. Here to help... :salute:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's a reasonable assumption based on surveys that show the percentage of libtard true believers isn't that great (something like 15% of the pop IIRC, and the truly hardcore about half that).
And yet people who are not true believers still choose to go along with everything. One could choose to not go along with people in positions of perceived authority or to perpetuate their ideas.
They get their way over the majority of the moderately sane population because your mates have installed them in positions of power and authority as "janissaries." ;) So much for "our democracy." :)

(But let's keep that stuff to the politics sub-forum eh.)
Cool it with the antisemitic remarks. Most of those people aren't Jews. Most of them are white people.

*restrains self*

But just on a general level, people don't really choose a lot of the time, they are "programmed," it's not a good or bad thing, it's just how it is. Learning how to live a life of rational choosing was almost the entire content of the philosophy of antiquity.

So the question is who's in charge of their programming - is it someone who has good intentions for them or bad, etc. Quis custodiet and all that.
There is no unbreakable programming.

Didn't I just mention ancient philosophy?

Mortmal

Arcane
Shadowfell Entrance warns me that some quests might fail etc. "depending on my choices." Am I meant to wait on entering the Shadowfell until I've fully cleared out the Shadowlands?
Yes if there's some small sidequests you havent done in the tower better wait.

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
If you can't find an ability hit 'L'. You drag every single active to your hotbar from there.

I wish I had gotten the hang of that sooner. UI gets so much more manageable once you empty everything from the hot bar and just drag what you want to where you want it
Most of the UI ciriticism is from retards who don't even know how it works.

Because there is no tutorial for it whatsoever would have taken all of 10 minutes to code a couple extra lines that explain how to manipulate it. But Belgians prefer perfecting fag dialog to functional & solid gameplay mechanics.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

430am

Educated
Just cleared Act 2 and set off on the road to Baldur's Gate. Exciting!

tm19vBY.png

What you're seeing in this screenshot is what I've been looking at on my screen for the past two minutes. Really cool! Great! Love that this is happening right at a climactic moment! Tried reloading my save three times but it goes to a black screen every time.

Fucking Swen and his fucking company. Six years in the making and it still shits itself and bricks out.
The fuck? I'm playing this on Linux and the experience has been super smooth without any bugs at all so far.
50 hours in and up to chapter 3…
Edit: I don't like it.
You played 50 hours of a videogame in 4 days.
You didn't? Weak.

Elthosian

Arcane
More buckbreaking

Why do so many of these 4chan/Reddit types read like their first game was Call of Duty Modern Warfare? At least here in the Codex we get actual criticism about the mechanics and UI from people that played the classics. Fucking casual scum should go back to wasting their parents' money on Fortnite.

430am

Educated
Why do so many of these 4chan/Reddit types read like their first game was Call of Duty Modern Warfare?
Because it is. The "actual" former userbase of cuckchan mass migrated away in about 2013-2014, and then again to other places like three years ago. Whatever's left on that website right now are almost entirely bots or zoomers.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
>Army of brain-eating hentai freaks days away from your town

>Bystander dialogue: them refugees are gonna steal our jobs!

:hmmm:

Why do people have to shove their braindead modern political commentary into a fantasy game?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I heard the music and the way he looked, and immediately noped out. Nope, like that Dark Souls meme gif.
It's 10+ hours into the game and there've been a half dozen scenes with sappy music and Gale. He had just gotten done giving this backstory about how in love he was with Mystra and how he'd shared a bed with her etc.

How is the player supposed to know that the guy pining after some bad hologram of a woman is actually craving buttsex?
I knew because I've read your posts.

You're saving me a lot of trauma.
Yeah, NEG is the hero we needed (to survive unwanted advances)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom