Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

jackofshadows

Magister
I dealt with them already, took about 4 tries. They kept making their saves on my Black Tentacles, Hold Persons, Blinds, sleet storm etc. Crowd Control doesn't mean shit if they brute force those too.
I remember casting hold person on gith inquisitor something like 5 turns in a row (total of like 7-8 times via scrolls etc) and only then succeeded and therefore instawin even though things were starting to look ugly by then. That said, usually it was really easy to hold people with my sorc and his max CHA and more importantly advantage on such spells.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Look to Mephistopheles in NWN1 - HOrdes of the Underdark. You send a entire chapter trying to get ways to weaken him before fighting him. He is a random enemy for Azata/Aeon in Wrath.

And he dies quickly, din't lasted 3 rounds in "hard" difficulty.

If you let him ambush you (instead of going to his location) it's one of the few truly difficult fights at that part of the game.

If Hard is too easy for you there's always Unfair.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I keep getting the same advice over and over here so let me clarify:

I dealt with them already, took about 4 tries. They kept making their saves on my Black Tentacles, Hold Persons, Blinds, sleet storm etc. Crowd Control doesn't mean shit if they brute force those too.

In Act 3 right now, got jumped by Orin and I find myself feeling similarly to how I did in Elden Ring.

There is no logic to most of these quests. It's really stupid easy to just break shit. I can positively **feel** the scripting corrupting the deeper into the city I go. I keep having to look at the wiki to make sure I didn't soft-lock or shatter some quest like glass because I went into the wrong room, or said the wrong thing or waited five minutes too long or asked one too-many questions.
Then attack weak saves. Make one of the companions you're not using a Bard with Cutting Remarks and Bane to back you up.

Or use temp HP/damage resistance on your Fighters and chain Weapon abilities dpending on what save you've applied disadvantage to with them.

Bleeding applies CON disadvantage, Daze WIS etc, also Acid Vials apply -2 AC.

Zeriel

Arcane
For those who unlocked Slayer form. Is Slayer form in BG3 as powerful as in BG2?
Its not. Slayer is weaker than a minmaxed character at that point.
One of the mods I ran on my Dark Urge play was a mod to improve the Slayer form. I only used it where narratively sensible, so no biggie.

I suppose you could argue same is true of Slayer in BG2. There are definitely things the player can do as non-slayer that can be "better" (i.e spellcasting). But it has some really strong merits like immunity to CC that push it over the top and make it feel busted. Haven't played BG3 past the first few hours and never will, so can't comment on whether BG3 replicates this.

Although... relative levels kept in mind. Slayer in BG1 absolutely would have been INSANE.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If you let him ambush you (instead of going to his location) it's one of the few truly difficult fights at that part of the game.

My point is not that. My point is that even for a epic level character, fighting a single monarch of nine hells should require a lot of lucky and pre planning to you have a small fighting chance and also alliance with other powerful entities. Mephistopheles and Demon Lords being "random enemies" is one of the greatest problems of WoTR.

Just like Avatar of deities being defeated at lv 8/9 is a huge problem in BG3.

so can't comment on whether BG3 replicates this.

Doesn't.

Slayer form was only useful for me in end of act 2, when I was wanting to save spell slots for the boss.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Yeah I did a wtf spit take on this too. But at least it's moderated by the fact that Myrkul wasn't a full god anymore by the time of BG3, and he was a giant loser anyways.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I need some build advice. I haven’t finished the game due to work/life, and I am now close to completing Moonrise Tower on tactician. Currently, I have an 8champion/2 rogue Durge, dual wielding melee weapons and hand crossbows, and max dexterity. I took savage attacker, ability score (20 dex), and alert.

I am between 8 champion /4 assassin and 8 champion/3 assassin/1 great old one warlock. In my mind, it is the choice between 1 additional feat vs Mortal Reminder.

I don’t know if an additional feat would add much at this point though. Weapon master? Dual Wielder? Further, my character consistently lands crits, and I believe there is crit gear in Baldurs Gate. Hence, I wonder if access to Mortal Reminder would both give advantage on subsequent rounds and prevent damage, at least more so than any one feat.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Collecting screenshots for my magnum opus Baldur's Gate 3 review.

2023-10-15-1455-1.png

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Always go Assassin
Champion is the worst subclass in the game
Interesting, I didn’t know. Champion has been okay so far on tactician, but that doesn’t say much. It seemed like an easy source for the crit for an eventual pivot into assassin.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

Yeah I did a wtf spit take on this too. But at least it's moderated by the fact that Myrkul wasn't a full god anymore by the time of BG3, and he was a giant loser anyways.
By the time of 5E all 3 gods of the 'Dead Three' have been relegated to demigods, or lesser 'quasi' gods, at best. The entirety of BG3 is about them trying to crawl back and become more than just lesser deities once more.

That's why they're being mocked in the after credit-scene and why the line "do you think the other gods wouldn't notice?" was uttered. They would be trying to force themselves in control of domains that are now governed by other gods.

It makes sense that their champions represent little and can be defeated by a group of heroes between levels 8 to 12.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Champion has been okay so far on tactician, but that doesn’t say much. It seemed like an easy source for the crit for an eventual pivot into assassin.
First of all, champion is very boring but what makes it a bad choice are ways to ensure crits anyway like the same hold person spell that was discussed above. Battle Master is way, way better thanks to some maneuvres like presicion strike (or what was it called - extreme bonus to thc).

As for your build I'd think about taking sharpshooter or some other feat. Mortal reminder seems too unreliable/situational.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Champion has been okay so far on tactician, but that doesn’t say much. It seemed like an easy source for the crit for an eventual pivot into assassin.
First of all, champion is very boring but what makes it a bad choice are ways to ensure crits anyway like the same hold person spell that was discussed above. Battle Master is way, way better thanks to some maneuvres like presicion strike (or what was it called - extreme bonus to thc).

As for your build I'd think about taking sharpshooter or some other feat. Mortal reminder seems too unreliable/situational.
That makes sense. I also didn’t know about precision strike on battle master, I’ll look into that.

Thanks!

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Always go Assassin
Champion is the worst subclass in the game
Interesting, I didn’t know. Champion has been okay so far on tactician, but that doesn’t say much. It seemed like an easy source for the crit for an eventual pivot into assassin.
Fighter is such a good core class, that all the subclasses work. Of the three given, Champion is probably the worst, yes. Also I think Assassin is the worst Rogue subclass.
That said, play whatever you want. Even on tactician difficulty, every class/subclass can do well. Use consumables, mind positioning, control some enemies, burst others, always try to have advantage on attacks, etc, you know the drill. No need to minmax too much to win. Play for fun.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Also I think Assassin is the worst Rogue subclass.
Its amazing for a 3 lvl dip, thats about it.
Just go Gloomstalker/Assassin, really, all you ever need.

5e in general had this problem of "Okay at lvl1/lvl3 you get cool shit." "Nice, what else do I get later?" "Uhhhh..."

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

5e in general had this problem of "Okay at lvl1/lvl3 you get cool shit." "Nice, what else do I get later?" "Uhhhh..."

At least for non casters.

It always boggles the mind that most dnd pure martial builds are basically useless after level 12 or so, and the fanbase defends this by saying "well, muh early level campaigns are better anyways."

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

At least for non casters.

It always boggles the mind that most dnd pure martial builds are basically useless after level 12 or so, and the fanbase defends this by saying "well, muh early level campaigns are better anyways."
There are some supplements which add various feats (for 3E and 3.5, at least).
Ubercharger, for example, who specializes in charging and full attacking and doing astronomical amounts of damage.
But, yeah, casters dominate the game, as they always have...

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
pure martial builds are basically useless after level 12

That depends a LOT on the setting and edition.

In AD&D, mages can't just pick spells on leveling up. They need to find scrolls and pass a check to learn from it. In certain settings like Dark Sun, spell scrolls are extremely scarce. And as mages are hated, they need to disguise their powers as psionics or be hunted down by huge angry mobs. Preparing spells and casting it is also another huge challenge. Certain subclasses like Shadow Wizard(pg 60 - Defilers and preservers : the wizards of athas) could literally die while preparing spells. A half giant gladiator has a much easier time if he manages to get into higher levels. Casters also require more xp to lv up in AD&D.

People love to compare casters to non casters as if only Magic User and Fighters exists. When imo Clerics and Druids are much stronger than Mages in every single edition. Mainly 3.5e.

And in 5e, the gap between casters and noncasters at higher levels is much less prominent. Sadly was not by giving cool combat maneuver, allowing barbarians to for example, decapitate an enemy, pick his head and throw into another(which high level barbs should be able to do). Was by nerfing every single iconic caster spell.

This game gives lots of abilities in adition to normal 5e lackluster progression. Astarion can get ascended powers. The illithid powers are insane powerful, allowing charname's to summon blackholes, fly, use psy blast, become a displacer beast and so on. I din't used they due RP reasons only.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Full turbo build-autism à la Pathfinder is not required (thankfully).
I mean, even if you wanted, it's not like you could. At most, you're going to do what, pick level in three different class for a somewhat subpar difference ? 5e is tailored for normie, not nerd.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom