Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Thalstarion

Novice
Another reason why I loathe preachy video games is the hypocrisy. Especially in recent titles, many games are written to conveniently revolve around broken aesops and protagonist centered morality.

You also get a bunch of nutters who will latch on to specific characters and rabidly attack anyone who even so much as lightly criticises or disagrees with that character.

Which, I suspect, is partly why so many development teams sanitise the grittier elements of their setting and reduce even morally grey and nuanced characters to spiteful caricatures who need to be taught a 'lesson' even when their circumstances are far more sympathetic than whatever the quirky, self righteous protagonists are meant to be going through.

It doesn't help that a lot of RPG's abandoned subtlety altogether and now just lazily push modern day political talking points at every turn with the false assumption that every gamer thinks the same way and agrees with them.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
You know what would have been cool, if there was a company with the means to even attempt it - have the first game with three possible high-level geopolitical outcomes, and then have three sequels, one for each outcome. And then end the whole series. Do a soft reboot after the third game, and then pick a canonic development as a starting point for the reboot. Imagine that. That would actually make the audience take your setting seriously and appreciate the games. If executed well.

The closest one to do this ever is The Witcher 2. Act 2 and part of Act 3 are different depending on Act 1 choice (Noble Elves or some gays in blue pants). The whole Act 2 is totally different. It's probably the single hardest C&C in term of scope in any RPG (AoD deserves honorary mention, but I consider it lower as your "route" is chosen at character creation, depending on what skill you focus on).

Then they somehwat makes a canon ending for Twitcher 3. The Witcher 2 was their breakout games and it shows how much effort was put into the game.

Wasteland

Educated
Yeah, I think Witcher 2 is clearly the worst game (qua game) in the trilogy, but it will always have a special place in my heart for the absolutely crazy investment it made in mutually exclusive narrative C&C. As far as I know, no studio before or since has ever come close to throwing so many resources at content that most players will never see by design. I very much doubt any studio ever will come close.

In that sense, Witcher 2 is a more historically significant achievement than any of CDPR's other, better games.

OLD_BSTRD

Novice
The closest one to do this ever is The Witcher 2. Act 2 and part of Act 3 are different depending on Act 1 choice (Noble Elves or some gays in blue pants).
Here let me correct this for you.
The closest one to do this ever is The Witcher 2. Act 2 and part of Act 3 are different depending on Act 1 choice (chad Roche or some gay elves).
Also, despite all shortcomings, Witcher 2 is the best part of the trilogy. You just don't understand TRUE POLISH GAMEPLAY™ ®©

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Yeah, I think Witcher 2 is clearly the worst game (qua game) in the trilogy, but it will always have a special place in my heart for the absolutely crazy investment it made in mutually exclusive narrative C&C. As far as I know, no studio before or since has ever come close to throwing so many resources at content that most players will never see by design. I very much doubt any studio ever will come close.

In that sense, Witcher 2 is a more historically significant achievement than any of CDPR's other, better games.
Plus, and this is extremely important, its English translation was excellent :obviously:

I know some people here are actually worried that you'll be unable to create a "pretty" Rook but I think this video shoots down that idea. I love how she looks in the cut scene at 0:25, she's stunning. You literally cannot tell me that her Rook is ugly like...you'd just be lying to yourself.

Yosharian

Arcane
I know some people here are actually worried that you'll be unable to create a "pretty" Rook but I think this video shoots down that idea. I love how she looks in the cut scene at 0:25, she's stunning. You literally cannot tell me that her Rook is ugly like...you'd just be lying to yourself.

Oh wow, I wasn't going to buy the game, but now that I heard about this my opinion has totally changed!

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

waaaaaow, beutiful lady, you're 9/10, pleaase, m'lady, give phon numbaaaa

lol.jpg

Dragon Age saved! It will be a great game after all!

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Shit goes with woke though. It's the same thing as Christian "purpose driven" films; we used to make fun of those for being awful, and the reason is the same. When you start determining how products are made not based on quality or engaging content, but on whether they are "morally correct", you end up promoting people based on a criteria other than the quality of their work.

This is true, but the other part of the issue is that Christian movies ARE morally correct, while this shit is irredimably evil.

Can't ignore that aspect.

Do you find them entertaining? Do you enjoy watching them? You find them quality products?

No but it'd still take Christian rock over chopped off tits and the like.

Woke art being bad art is only part of the issue like i said. The fact woke ideology is also evil aggravates the issue. After all, the reason people are appalled at the chopped off tits in this game is not just that it makes no sense to have such a thing in a magical setting, which falls into the "bad art" category, but that it is appalling in and of itself.

Christian movies may be dumb and are often derived for it but the moral and the values contained in those movies range from the inoffensive to the admirabile at the very least. I never saw God's Not Dead but i think the worst case scenario for a movie like this is that it would be boring and cliche. I certainly doubt though i'd feel as appalled and repelled as any display of far-left depravity.

Zeriel

Arcane

Shit goes with woke though. It's the same thing as Christian "purpose driven" films; we used to make fun of those for being awful, and the reason is the same. When you start determining how products are made not based on quality or engaging content, but on whether they are "morally correct", you end up promoting people based on a criteria other than the quality of their work.

This is true, but the other part of the issue is that Christian movies ARE morally correct, while this shit is irredimably evil.

Can't ignore that aspect.

Do you find them entertaining? Do you enjoy watching them? You find them quality products?

No but it'd still take Christian rock over chopped off tits and the like.

Woke art being bad art is only part of the issue like i said. The fact woke ideology is also evil aggravates the issue. After all, the reason people are appalled at the chopped off tits in this game is not just that it makes no sense to have such a thing in a magical setting, which falls into the "bad art" category, but that it is appalling in and of itself.

Christian movies may be dumb and are often derived for it but the moral and the values contained in those movies range from the inoffensive to the admirabile at the very least. I never saw God's Not Dead but i think the worst case scenario for a movie like this is that it would be boring and cliche. I certainly doubt though i'd feel as appalled and repelled as any display of far-left depravity.

Yeah, that's fair enough. I think both are important though. It's more a point of criticism in that society as a whole could see how bad Christian films were, but now the exact same thing is almost immune to mainstream press criticism because they share the ideology of the same amateurish propagandizing.

People always find it more difficult to identify propaganda when it's pushing an agenda they agree with, or attacking something they dislike. It's a form of confirmation bias: arguments supporting positions we like are seen as more plausible.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Protestant movies are a propaganda of normality, whereas woke "movies" and "video games" are a propaganda of mental illness and depravity. What makes it propaganda and not just art with a certain meaning to it? The central message is hamfisted and put very simplistically in the most obvious manner possible. It wouldn't propagate otherwise.

In other words, it's aimed at the lowest common denominator. Every woke trash has their characterization spread across the exact same victimhood pyramid, where non-faggy white males either don't exist, or exist solely to be hated and killed, or exist solely as the protagonist (who will invariably abdicate his role to a dieverse female if the series go on long enough) to ease the target demographic into the medium. The predictability of this otherwise utterly arbitrary and implausible disparity is what makes it not only woke, but woke PROPAGANDA.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite

waaaaaow, beutiful lady, you're 9/10, pleaase, m'lady, give phon numbaaaa

lol.jpg

Dragon Age saved! It will be a great game after all!

Bimbo ass lips.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Do you enjoy watching them?
I loved watching Veggie Tales as a kid. They were a Christian programming. They did lots of movies about the Old Testament, Moses, and a few others that I can't really remember - it's been two decades since I watched Veggie Tales. I still remember that opening song though:

It's a form of confirmation bias: arguments supporting positions we like are seen as more plausible.
Nah. It's a form of common sense of not wanting an ideology that supports the chopping of one's God given privates nor the proliferation of it upon children.

hUDQhGn.jpeg

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is probably the only game I will say this about while on the Codex: Whoever plays this needs mercy killing with two shots in the back of their head.
I want a Codexer to unironically play this then write an in-depth Codex review.
I don't think it's gonna happen.

Look, I slurp every shitty RPG, and enjoyed Dragon Age series, and I have hard time convincing myself DA4 is even worth demoing for codex cred. Perhaps Darth Roxor , who completed Arcania, could be your hope, but I doubt even this. Or Crispy who has hundreds of hours in Skyrim. I still doubt it.

A codexer who touches it should be remembered, for sure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom