Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Ninjerk

Arcane
:salute:

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Actually, amusingly, a lot of the sorceror skills do physical damage as well (it's why it's on their weapons)

Isn't the split damage on archistaves and spells like a 80/20 ratio, though? I know most magic weapons have a pretty even split between physical and magical damage and that's why their damage overall is garbage. Took a random archistaff from the wiki and it does 168/982 physical/magick damage respectively. If your character has barely any base magick attack he's going to do piss poor damage with the thing.
Correct me if I'm wrong though, for all I know I could be spouting complete bullshit.

Suicidal

Arcane
So is this like a better version of Skyrim? Looks pretty interesting. Would you guys say it's worth the day 1 price tag?

Martius

Liturgist
Well, for sure combat is a lot better since it was made by people behind most of Devil May Cry games. If you like combat in that series I would say yes.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Similarities to Skyrim I would say are superficial. I'm thinking Shadow of the Colossus mashup with something else.

Suicidal

Arcane
So is this like a better version of Skyrim?
You mean because there are dragons in it? :?

Definitely ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Well, for sure combat is a lot better since it was made by people behind most of Devil May Cry games. If you like combat in that series I would say yes.

Ok this is all I needed to hear. DMC 3 and 4 are among my favorite button masher games and now that I have been sated with good RPGs I am actually hungry for some good combat-focused actions games, which the PC really lacks right now.

Perkel

Arcane
I think that song is huge part of why DD is loved and perfectly fits game.

DD unlike almost all japanse rpgs is angst free game from start to finish. Sure there are some plots here and there but overall DD has upbeat theme and theme song sets up this theme perfectly.

And will be probably first thing people will mod in as Dark Arisen expansion removed that song as theme for something else.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
DD unlike almost all japanse rpgs is angst free game from start to finish.
except of course for the whole never ending cycle of despair thing. the game sometimes is tone deaf, like many "low budget" japanese games, but not upbeat.

Moink

Cipher
I think that song is huge part of why DD is loved and perfectly fits game.

DD unlike almost all japanse rpgs is angst free game from start to finish. Sure there are some plots here and there but overall DD has upbeat theme and theme song sets up this theme perfectly.

And will be probably first thing people will mod in as Dark Arisen expansion removed that song as theme for something else.

They replaced it with this, which is no where near as fun as THE WIND IS PUSHING MEEE, but it's not bad.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
So is this like a better version of Skyrim? Looks pretty interesting. Would you guys say it's worth the day 1 price tag?
Thanks to its release date, Dragon's Dogma was frequently compared to both Skyrim and Dark Souls, but neither comparison is accurate, especially the former. Although initially intended to be an Open World game, this aspect was dropped during development, and really the only the commonality with Skyrim is that both are fantasy CRPGs that prominently feature dragons --- but the dragon fights in DD blow those in Skyrim out of the water. As for Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma borrows the "one save" mentality, though there is a backup "checkpoint save" and it bizarrely limits the player to a single character, and there is some influence on combat.

The games with the primary influence on Dragon's Dogma are Capcom's own arcade fantasy beat-'em-ups from the early to mid-90s --- games like Magic Sword, Knights of the Round, and especially the two D&D-licensed games Tower of Doom and Shadow over Mystara --- but turned into an RPG. DD also takes from Shadow of the Colossus the mechanism of grabbing and climbing large enemies, a feature used extensively. Combat is additionally influenced by Monster Hunter, the Souls games, Devil May Cry, and probably a few other things. It's more than worth paying the rheingold on Day 1.

Perkel

Arcane
Why you people still saying that game isn't open world ?

I mean after just 15minutes you can go almost anywhere you want.
Game is simply not level scaled and when you go somewhere where you shouldn't be you will get your ass beat but that doesn't make game open world. DD is exactly like Gothic in its design though because there are more "quests" there are ton of locations closed off until you get quest.

Still you can go and explore as you want.

My best memory from game was when i was trying to reach end of map without any quest and got into some canyon with golems in it. I was way to low level but either way i fought like hour battle and won in the end getting some good loot.

Also yeah comparing it to Skyrim or Dark Souls is wrong. DD is more like Gothic in it's world design just one big city instead of 3 small ones.

Suicidal

Arcane
Thanks to its release date, Dragon's Dogma was frequently compared to both Skyrim and Dark Souls, but neither comparison is accurate, especially the former. Although initially intended to be an Open World game, this aspect was dropped during development

So wait, it's not open world? The screenshots and videos I saw suggested that it is and it has the open world tag on steam.

Delterius

Arcane
Thanks to its release date, Dragon's Dogma was frequently compared to both Skyrim and Dark Souls, but neither comparison is accurate, especially the former. Although initially intended to be an Open World game, this aspect was dropped during development

So wait, it's not open world? The screenshots and videos I saw suggested that it is and it has the open world tag on steam.

Nah, it is open world. Its not open in the sense of TES where you've got settlements and quests spread everywhere, its just a single main hub with lots of grass in between some quest objectives. There also isn't a lot of content outside of the main (and mostly linear) questline.

The thing is that you kinda get the sense that the original plans for the game were much bigger. If you look at developer interviews, it was intended as a Skyrim with actually good combat and only one third of the game world made its away in. Half way through the game, the King says something like 'all the roads are now open to you', even though they have been for 10 hours already. Etcetera.

Suicidal

Arcane
Oh ok, that makes sense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom