Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Ash

Arcane
Go killer combat and record it. GMDX still lacks a decent video playthrough.

Edit:

Speaking of the actual changelog, I never posted it. As codex is the most supportive of my work (after learning that I am, in fact, the incline bringer I claimed to be), you can have exclusive access to some cool things from the list:

-Receiving ammo during conversations now displays how much ammo you were given.
-You can now lean over edges as in System Shock.
-You can now pick up objects that have other objects standing on top of them, providing they both aren't too heavy.
-Vanilla Bugfix: you can now successfully throw objects while running forward (originally you'd run into the object as it is thrown, causing it to drop straight to the floor).
-Vanilla Bugfix: shooting unconscious NPCs, throwing them in water and so on kills them.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Someone sent me a message elsewhere asking me what is the purpose of plug sockets in GMDX, the ones that zap you when interacted with:

My response:

None, except for creating the illusion of a real world and/or just making the player feel more empowered, even if it is limited and abstract in execution. Who wants totally static environments like in most modern games? I've always wanted more interactivity. Granted, you should probably just switch the plug socket on/off when you interact with it, but then that creates further expectation in the player that you can actually do something more with the sockets. Plus getting zapped is a little throwback to Duke Nukem 3D (1996), which zapped you when you interacted with plug sockets.

Just thought some may be interested in that trivia. It is stupid that interacting with them puts your/JC's finger in them like a dumbass, but it's either that or making them static; unable to be interacted with. And I have no interest in doing that.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Someone sent me a message elsewhere asking me what is the purpose of plug sockets in GMDX, the ones that zap you when interacted with:
Could be interesting if they recharged your bio energy (to a max of 10% or something) for damage. Somewhat exploitable with regen aug perhaps.

Ash

Arcane
I did think of that, but I thought it would be even more stupid to encourage players to electrocute themselves for Bioenergy, especially given that electricity in the rest of the game only hurts you and is often accompanied by an EMP field that does the opposite and drains bioenergy.

From a gameplay POV it would be a cool trade-off, but unfortunately there needs to be notable consideration of realism and consistency as well as fun gameplay, otherwise I totally would.

It's fine as it is, it's the least imperfect of all the possible options outside of removing them altogether, but I'd consider that a loss as they make environments slightly more detailed and slightly more interactive.

Last edited:

eXalted

Arcane
I have to thing to em... I don't know... report?

1) Sometimes when I'm carrying a big metal box and I'm dropping it (right mouse button) and almost at the same time jumping, the box seems to disappear. Poof!

2) At the mission where you have to enter the hangar (with the patrolling bots outside), I have tried times and times again to enter through the window of the barracks that is connected to the hangar and I just couldn't. Until I saw in a Let's Play video that there is a window-glass there! It's absolutely not noticeable.

Window-glass:
nV225UB.jpg

Smashing it:
ymcZLyU.jpg

Voila! No glass here:
ddusXtO.jpg

window-glass-cleaner-500x500.JPG

Ash

Arcane
Both known, both fixed in v9.0. Thanks nonetheless, but don't let that dissuade you from further reports. I've probably already got them but there could always be one, and that matters.

The glass is noticeable, barely. But you're not the first to report it.

eXalted

Arcane
Alright, I will make sure to report if I find something else.

Are there many level changes in the mod? The room just before Lebedev is locked, is it unlocked in the original game? LP (from YouTube) screenshot:

ISej7Fo.jpg
The "Your NanoKey Ring unlocked it" message concerns the door before that.

Ash

Arcane
Are there many level changes in the mod?

Yes. The codex can vouch for me that they're all good changes. And if any aren't they should have been reported!

MotherMachinae said:
Or is it like Complete mod for Stalkers, where it's suggested for first playthrough, if anyone ask?

There's a fair bit of that, yes. Revision is the most downloaded Deus Ex mod of all time by a long shot, and was presented as the best the community has to offer. It was supported by Square Enix, and publicized by the gaming press at large. It's safe to say it was thousands upon thousands of people's introduction to Deus Ex, and it's all they know.
Meanwhile, the bigger and better mod was completely ignored.

Some people deserve all the decline they get.

Thankfully though, people seem to be seeing sense over time.

Last edited:

eXalted

Arcane
Alright then, guess I should stop worrying that I'm missing stuff and not doing things right and just enjoy the game.

Just blew Navarre with LED on the wall + the exploding barrel. Didn't know that it's even possible, thought that it would bug the game :incline:

Last edited:

vota DC

Augur
I just finished my ultra pacifist play with gmdx 8.0. (Almost no takedown, i actually got it until the underwater base, where my patience ran out so i had to knock some people unconscious so i can traverse quicker. ah, also massacre at the ton so i can save Paul)

Maybe psychopath killer with 9.0? Shame some NPCs are immortal till some point.

Also the changelog looks sexy af. You are sexy >:3

Don't remember well but wasn't possibile just to hide after fight started? Paul Denton can win alone, he is invincible.

Ash

Arcane
Lol'd.

That may be my fault. I think I added a systemic enhancement where landing from height onto objects damages them, as it realistically would, but it seems I forgot to exclude metal objects as a type that gets damaged, or some other special case modifier of that sort. I added many simulated details like that...there was bound to be a flaw or two in there somewhere. No worries, these things happen. I'll fix it.

Edit:

Code:
else if (zVelocity < -700 && standingActor.Mass >= 40 && FragType != class'MetalFragment' && !IsA('ElectronicDevices'))
    {
        standingMass = FMax(1, standingActor.Mass);
        baseMass     = FMax(1, Mass);
        TakeDamage((1 - standingMass/baseMass * zVelocity/30),
                  standingActor.Instigator, standingActor.Location, 0.2*standingActor.Velocity, 'stomped');
    }

Nope. Metal fragtype is already excluded. So it must be something else, I'll have to do some hunting.

Last edited:

eXalted

Arcane
It was pretty funny, looked like a feature to me.

Will this fix have an impact on the throwing of such objects? Flinging these barrels at the patrolling bots was very satisfactory.

Ash

Arcane
Don't remember well but wasn't possibile just to hide after fight started? Paul Denton can win alone, he is invincible.

Not in GMDX. This change is just better in every way:

-Paul is meant to be in considerable pain and unable to even even flee down the fire escape. Vanilla he gets up, soaks up hails upon hails of bullets, and murders everyone.
-What happened to "stick with the prod", non-lethal pacifistic Paul? Now all of a sudden he's the most extreme badass killing machine in the game and is visibly invincible?
-More stakes involved. The only way Paul can survive the raid is if YOU make sure he survives by fighting by his side.
-That's just more enjoyable from a gameplay standpoint than hiding in the damn closet anyway.
-He's supposed to be your brother, why wouldn't you fight by his side? Hide in the closet if you want, but he should die if you do that and then you may actually feel bad for hiding like a pussy....choices and consequences.

Although this change does favor a combat build in the outcome of Paul's survival, you can still do it non-lethally with gas grenades, crossbow etc. Paul does survive even if you fail to stay alive anyway, but only if you get to a certain point with him if I remember correctly. It's fleeing by the window that guarantees his death, same as vanilla.

Last edited:

superstepa

Novice

Not in GMDX. This change is just better in every way:

-What happened to "stick with the prod", non-lethal pacifistic Paul? Now all of a sudden he's the most extreme badass killing machine in the game and is visibly invincible?

Although this change does favor a combat build in the outcome of Paul's survival, you can still do it non-lethally with gas grenades, crossbow etc. Paul does survive even if you fail to stay alive anyway, but only if you get to a certain point with him. It's fleeing by the window that guarantees his death, same as vanilla.
You can interpret Paul being pacifistic at the start of the game as him trying to protect the NSF.

The change is pretty good though, I always though that the Paul fight was the clunkiest part of the vanilla game

HoboForEternity

LIBERAL PROPAGANDIST
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just thought some may be interested in that trivia. It is stupid that interacting with them puts your/JC's finger in them like a dumbass, but it's either that or making them static; unable to be interacted with. And I have no interest in doing that.
i picked up paper clip and try to plug it in the socket hoping it would cause powershortage, it just damaged me and i lol'd

Black

Arcane
What a waste.
Formal petition to rename this thread to "GMDX: Deus Ex Augmentation"

Black

Arcane
Another thing, either my memory failed my or GMDX adds those mudcrabs to Hong Kong canals. Why would you do that, asshole?

Ash

Arcane
Hmm? What's a waste?

GMDX adds those mudcrabs to Hong Kong canals

This was already addressed here recently, admitted to be problematic and action has been taken to address the issue.

And don't call me an asshole you stupid inbred.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom