Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nice game intros

Codex Year of the Donut

especially impressive for the time it released

Häyhä

Arbiter

Simply perfect and so ahead of it's time. Everything from cinematography, graphics, music and storytelling is top-notch. No needless exposition, it tells the backdrop of the game and then drops you in the action just as confused as the main character himself. When I saw this intro as a kid it really blew my mind and it's still amazing and puts most games to shame.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Always remembered this one - not as dramatic as I remembered it.

And Realms of the Haunting

Nice how they tried to emulate the 1992 desktop for the intro. Groundbreaking at the time.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Wings, original Amiga version. IMO one of the BEST intros for computer games ever. Something about the direction of this short animation is brilliant.

Civilization For a change of pace. Simple and cheap but nice and very to point.

Flashback, Amiga again.

Those are all early 90s. Games evolved and got better with time. At least in some genres. The graphics certainly got more advanced. However for some reason i still find the intros (even if the games themselves got surpassed eventually) from the 90s among the best ones. Maybe it was the direction, the fact authors had such limited options that it forced them to be more creative, out of necessity? In very short, often simple animations they had to make people want to play the game. Unlike in later intros that often got longer and weren't that limited in most ways. I'm not sure.
Still, some great intros from every era in this thread.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron

Simply perfect and so ahead of it's time. Everything from cinematography, graphics, music and storytelling is top-notch. No needless exposition, it tells the backdrop of the game and then drops you in the action just as confused as the main character himself. When I saw this intro as a kid it really blew my mind and it's still amazing and puts most games to shame.

This one is a classic :

:hmmm:
it's great tho

Häyhä

Arbiter

This one is a classic :

:hmmm:
it's great tho

Well obviously I'm blind. But it's so awesome it deserves the double-post

:cool:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Quite surprised this hasn't been posted yet, one of the best intros of all time, in my opinion. This is with the superior Adlib music (compared to the MT-32 option), but sadly in the wrong aspect ratio (320x200... VGA... did... not... have... square... pixels... it's infuriating to have to explain this to some people still).

This all-time classic is missing too (luckily I managed to find a 1080p version with correct aspect ratio and MT-32 music):

Then one of my favourite Amiga intros, so atmospheric and the pixel gfx is a masterpiece. Forget about the DOS version which has a vastly inferior 3D flyby intro.

And finally, probably my favourite modern intro, it's just badass and it's great to watch the cinematics if you've read the short story beforehand.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Oh, and this one. 320x200 EGA + MIDI music, yet it has more soul and charm than 99% of the 500fps HDR ray traced 8k ultrahd cookie cutter crap these days.

ferratilis

Magister
This is my favorite, mostly because of the amazing narration and the mood it sets up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom